Monday, October 19, 2009

Welcome to a little later version of 10 Things we Learned. For the first time in 2 years, I won a football pool last week, when I went 11-3 with my picks. My goal was not to win my pool this week, but have a winning record, and not to go .500 again. I went 6-7. Such a disappointment. Which leads us to this....

10 Things we Learned in Week 6- I was right/I was wrong edition.

1. I was wrong to think any of the "horrible" teams would lay down.

When someone on the Giants (I think it was Justin Tuck?) called the Raiders game a basic scrimmage this week, I knew that they would give a good effort (more on that in a sec), but most of the horrible group (Bills-Rams-Bucs-Chiefs-Raiders), put on performances worthy of....well being NFL teams. Maybe there IS parody in the NFL.

2. I was right to think the good teams would step up though at home.

In specific, the Falcons and the Steelers. Both teams had opponents that were a little trouble (Bears game was to the wire and the Browns were in it for a while), but both stepped up when it mattered the most. The Georgia Dome and Heinz field are difficult places to play when the teams who occupy those stadiums are mediocre....but when they are good, watch out.

3. I was wrong to think the USC QB curse was over in the NFL.

I thought all 3 of the big USC pros in the NFL had turned a corner, but boy did that change Sunday. Carson Palmer got outplayed by Matt Schaub (Texans have basically done by the way the exact opposite of what they've been predicted to do in EVERY GAME this year). Mark Sanchez played one of the worst games a QB can ever play in the NFL (5 INT's, QB rating of ocho point dos. Yes 8.2). And thanks to Kurt Warner 32/41 day, Matt Leinart may be riding the bench forever (although I did notice he got in for garbage time late, yay Matt!)

4. I was right to think the QB position is back baby!

And Warner doesn't make this list! Eight 300 yard passers on Sunday (6 of them won), a ton of 250+, 2 TD's to go with it as well. Unless your name is Sanchez or Manning (I hold my head in shame for NY), lot of QBs are playing the position very well right now to start the season. At times you can't get any better.

5. I was wrong to think the Titans had pride.

Seriously? 59-0 loss to the Pats? I know your secondary is bad, but holy crap! 59-0, with 5 TD passes in the 2nd quarter. Bill Bellicheck must have been having an orgasm as visions of the regular seasom of 2007 were dancing in his head. But why would you keep Brady into the 3rd? Are you asking for trouble? By the way...Vince Young had 2 passes. Think it's safe to say the Titans NEED to look at QB this offseason.

6. I was right to think the Cards did have pride.

27-3 over the Seahawks and a renewed sense of confidence (from me, dunno bout anyone else), that this is the Cardinals division. Now all of a sudden, a bad Sunday night game on paper few weeks ago (Arizona-Giants) is dangerous for the G-Men, not just for Big Blue's secondary issues, but cause that's a trap game from NY (come off demoralizing loss, big divisional game week after versus Philly).

7. We ALL were wrong on Philly-Oakland.

Here is that one game that knocked you all out of your knockout pool (ONLY TAKE A ROAD TEAM IF YOU HAVE TO!). Philadelphia threw it 46 times, and gave it to Brian Westbrook 6 times, typical Andy Reid. When Oakland connected on that 85 yard TD pass to Zach Miller, I don't think anyone needed it more than the Raiders. Speaking of...JaMarcus Russell...17/28! Not too shabby, I can even overlook the 2 INTs.

8. We were all right on how bad the Redskins are.

First team in NFL history to play 6, yes 6 winless teams to start a season, and essentially they were 9 points away from being winless themselves. I thought 6-10 for Washington to start the season, now I may have to adjust that more. I'm never in favor of firing a coach mid-season, but Jim Zorn should give up more than just calling plays.

9. I was wrong on...that #4 guy.

I didn't think the Vikings would need him as much (and I didn't think he would deliver), but Brett Favre, when asked to drive his team down the field for a winning, has already done it twice to start the season. Now yes both were at home, but the teams they played (San Fran, now Baltimore), were halfway decent. With the Vikings (The Vikings!) now 6-0, I think it's safe to say Brett Favre can't even screw this team out of the playoffs this year,

10. I was right to say the best team in the NFL was the Saints.

Wow. I know the Giants secondary is banged up, but wow. That's a woodshed beating there. Said they were the NFL's best through the 1st quarter of 2009 and now no one can disagree. This was a beautiful offensive performance from Start to finish. Absolutely freaking amazing. I have no words to say. I can criticize the Giants not playing together, but that would be unfair. This was all the Saints playing good...on this night.

It's the NFL, I can be wrong in just one week. I'll see you next week.

No comments: