Sunday, October 11, 2009

My name is The Rabbi. OK, I honestly should be on top of the world after this weekend. The Giants are 5-0, the Yankees just won their first playoff series in 5 years (I know, surprising to me too when I say that), and New York is really the epicenter of sports these days. But....

My college lost their homecoming game on Saturday. Hofstra University shit the bed, so to speak.

See, that's really one of the only teams I can claim. That truly is MY team, I went to the college. When I see MY team lose 16-14 on 7 (yes 7 turnovers) on Homecoming, with me in attendance, it kinda puts a damper to the weekend. With that being said, it's time to come home to a new Sunday tradition....

10 Things we learned about Week 5- What You See Is NOT What You Get (usually)

1. You CAN win a game without a passing attack.

I'm not talking about my High School team, the North Babylon Bulldogs which won 12-7 over the weekend, attempting 0 passes, I'm talking about the Cleveland Browns. 6-3. They beat the Bills. A whopping 2-17 by Random Brown QB of the week (Don't know if it was Quinn or Anderson, don't care). This season was so bad for Eric Mangini, he said this after the game.

"The way it turned out, I thought it was beautiful,"

I guess when you're the Browns, any win is beautiful.

2. You CAN also win a game without a rushing attack.

But you kinda need both, no. The Eagles won today despite only 18 yards from their leading ruusher Brian Westbrook. Nice job, Donavan McNabb (for once picking up Westbrook when he did it to you all these years), but I gotta believe you both need to be in sync to beat the Giants later in the season.

3. However, when your passer and rusher is Shaun Hill and Glen Coffee....

You lose! Atlanta exploded on the NFC West leaders San Fran (which kind of makes me think that the Vikings aren't that good given their last second win), and they scored 45 points, had a 300 yard passer and an almost 100 yard rusher. The boo birds were out loud for the Niners, who by the way, are the leaders of an NFC division. Parody does exist kids!...so does mediocrity.

4. Then there's the team that doesn't qualify for any of these categories....

How bout them Cowboys! More like, what the hell are these Cowboys? I mean is Tony Romo a good QB? (he threw to Miles Austin for 10 catches and 250 yards for godsakes) Should Marion Barber give up carries to Tashard Choice? (Barber is a better 3rd down runner and was at his best as a late game back, and you still have Felix Jones) All I know is, the old Jerry Jones that wasn't focusing on his new stadium would not accept multiple years of 9-7 and 10-6, he wouldn't.

5. Speaking of the Cowboys....

Finally had time to watch the pregame shows, CBS in particular. Shannon "mushmouth" Sharpe basically bashed Tony Romo as an above average QB. But later when he said the Broncos were for real...everyone mentioned his Romo point back to him. I, probably for the only time (as a bitter Giants fan who saw Sharpe win his 3rd Super Bowl win against the G-Men), agree with Sharpe. We were touting Cowboys-Broncos as a big game last week, so they are for real when they win that game. Now that they've once again beaten the Pats in Denver...they're for real! Um....that is till their big Monday night showdown next week vs. San Diego.

6. Baseball Break!

Sorry Red Sox, you were flawed this year and the Angels did exactly what people thought they should do for the last 4 meeting vs you guys in the postseason...wear out your starters, get to your bullpen. THAT EASY. Now Sox fans can watch as the Yankees probably get run over (for at least one game), by the Angels. But, more on that next week. Final note: isn't it nice to see the legend of Papelbon be scored upon. If he ever compares himself to the Great Mariano ever again, PLEASE show them that tape of this Game 3.

7. Carson Palmer, unlike Papelbon is a closer.

So, you got the TD in the last minute against Denver (yes it was moot but Palmer led him there). There was the TD in the final minute to beat the Steelers. The TD in the final 2 minutes against the Browns to send the game into OT. And of course today when Carson Palmer got past the vaunted Ravens D to score the game winning TD and get the upset 17-14. I know he's no Brett Favre (and frankly, who is...excuse me while I roll my eyes). He's not John Elway, but Carson Palmer is not only BACK, he's one of the 5 QBs you want at crunchtime.

8. A note of sorry....sort of.

I've always made fun of the Lions, you gotta truly feel for them. Tough schedule (NFC North and AFC North makes up half the schedule), 3/4 of the frackin crowd were Steelers fans (hello Super Bowl 40), and injuries in back to back weeks to their #1 QB, and their #1 WR. Jim Schwartz, as a reward, I'm leaving you out of Question #9.

9. Who's really the worst?

Let's discount the Lions and figure out the worst team in the NFL. I have it down to 4: Bills, Browns, Chiefs, and Raiders. The Bills looked good at the start of the season, but they lost to the BROWNS. The Chiefs are winless, but they started the season without Matt Cassel and lost against the Raiders without him, they're out. I'd count the Bills or Browns, but let's truthfully put the Raiders in their rightful place here. I saw them in a 3rd and 22 situation on Defense and laughed when I said " of course this is an easy conversion!". The Giants got 34 on a SCREEN. Unacceptable. I know you won a game boys, but you will always be last in my hearts...bringing me to...

10. Who's really the best?

Giants? Nah, they are playing the best right now, but that's just taking care of buisness. They just beat Dallas at the gun, which is nice, but that last 3 weeks schedule is kinda deterent to me. They're still #3. Colts? Love to, but I keep thinking about all their early season success (sans a year ago). These wins are great, but it's just way too early. They've been impressive but haven't beaten an impressive team yet...so the answer (for now) is the Saints. They've won the high flying offensive way (vs Philly) and the really defensive way (vs the J-E-T-S.). They have the biggest variety of the wins, so they're top dog. That is till next week. Giants will be coming to town.

You know with Angels-Yankees starting Friday, that game may be under the radar...just how the G-Men like it. See you next Sunday night.

No comments: