Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Bowl Season - Part 2

By The Rabbi, OTSL Producer and Video Editor

Welcome to Part 2 of my Bowl preview, and thankfully, I only have one game to put in for Monday so I'm putting in a short week!  I know, I'm lazy.

Miami Beach Bowl

Western Kentucky (-2.5) vs. South Florida

1.  Why should I care about this game?

Because the inaugural Miami Beach bowl in 2014 that featured Memphis and BYU, two teams who looked a lot better this season.  That game also featured a massive brawl that was one of the pre-CFP highlights of the Bowl season.  So, as we establish, fighting is more exciting than talent.

2.  Who should I watch for?

While South Florida likes to run, we'll focus on enough runners in future columns.  Western Kentucky has Brandon Doughty, who led the nation this year in completion percentage at 71.9% and had 45 passing touchdowns.  Should make this another high scoring bowl, whether it's high scoring on only one side remains to be seen.

3.  Main storyline?

This is a damn good game for the 2nd day of bowl season.  South Florida was in the mix for the AAC title, and Western Kentucky won every game in the C-USA and by double digits.  Western Kentucky is, in my opinion, right behind Memphis and Houston in non Power 5 conference talent.

4.  At stake?

More for the coaches I think is at stake.  For Western Kentucky, Jeff Brohm has taken the team to newer, dominant heights (they competed really well in their only 2 losses to Indiana and LSU).  For South Florida coach (and former Western Kentucky QB and head coach) Willie Taggert, a chance to get a signature victory against his former team, and some traction in the all of a sudden ultra tight AAC.

5.  Who wins?

Western Kentucky continues their run of big bowl games.  WKU 49, South Florida 35

Coming up in the next post:  Part 3, looking at the games on Tuesday, featuring one of my favorite college football stories of 2015:  Temple.

No comments: