Tuesday, November 16, 2010

How do I thank thee? Let me count the ways?

I am The Rabbi, video editor of On The Sportslines.

Well, well, well. Thanksgiving is only 9 days away, and now it's time to make a list. This list will span all sports as I give a quick look of what I am thankful for as the holidays near.

I am thankful for The AFC East. The division is the only one (outside of the NFC South) that provides excitement in their top 2 teams. The New England Patriots are doing it with surprising power. They have provided offensive fireworks versus the Baltimore Ravens and Pittsburgh Steelers (are you kidding me?) They have a team that doesn't like they've missed an offensive beat with the subtraction of Randy Moss. Rob Gronkowski with 3 TD's? Are you kidding me? Maybe Tom Brady should be an MVP candidate. But the New York Jets are surprisingly keeping it up. They won back to back games on the road, in the most unbelievable way possible. The Jets though know they can't be like this all along, so I hope they raise their game once they start their hell run Dec 6th at New England. Lucky for us, the Jets and Pats will both have ELEVEN days for that matchup. Get real thankful, as both teams could be 9-2 then, and one of them should be at least 8-3.

I am thankful for Mike Vick. OK, the NFL is, but as a Giant fan I am surely not. The Redskins got lit up like a Christmas tree. 6 TOTAL TD'S for Mike Vick! Are you serious? The Mike Vick that got to the playoffs in the 2002 and 2004 seasons was not as dangerous as this one in 2010. It seems like the time away made him stronger, and aware of how much he needed to develop a passing game. Add the weapons in Philadelphia, and this is the MVP. It's been that kind of a season where someone who's missed about a quarter of the season deserves a chance at the MVP award.

I am thankful for the comedy the NFLPA is bringing me with their counteroffer to the 18 game season the owners want. Larger salary? I can deal with that. But, to essentially want another bye week and then decide that they want to get rid of offseason workouts? Please. You're almost asking for the loudest no possible. The NFL is trying to find everyway to getting their 2011 season delayed or canceled via strike, and with their "negotiating tactics", they are on their way.

I will be very thankful when this Cam Newton situation is over. Reports of being offered money to go to many different colleges, cheating while at Florida, being payed money to play...yeah, I would say Cam Newton is in trouble. Auburn is letting Cam play this out until the NCAA says otherwise, but Tiger fans must be crying. Remember the two other undefeated seasons of 1993 and 2004? Neither ended in a national title game. This year it will, but who knows if it will even stick.

I am thankful for the BCS.....OK, you know I'm kidding, right? Here's my latest BCS rant: unless Oregon or Auburn lose again, I think the streak of non-BCS teams going into the National Title game will last into....well, forever. But let's add this new wrinkle that many people don't realize. The only reason both Boise and TCU made the BCS last year was that not enough teams qualified from the at large conferences. This year? Not so much. Stanford looks like a Top 10 team, so without a loss, they'll get an invite. Either LSU or Alabama has enough name recongition for an invite from the SEC. As for the Big 12, Oklahoma or Nebraska should still make it as a 1 or 2 loss team. That means only one spot goes to a BCS buster. So not only may there not be a BCS buster spot in the title game, the lower ranked of the two go to the....MAACO Bowl? Good god.

I am thankful for the possibility of the Miami Heat being only the 4th best team in the Eastern Conference. When healthy, we know Boston is better, they've beaten the Heat both home and away. Orlando could match Miami and all cylinders. Chicago might have the drive to go all year with the Heat too. Now this is a pipe dream (except for the Celtics), and we know the Heat will still be a big team (say 55 to 60 wins). However, the thing that has me optimistic? If Bosh keeps underperforming in the early season, what's he gonna do if Wade or James go down? Yeah, that's why I still think 45 to 51 could.

I am thankful for the 24 hours of college basketball tip off marathon on ESPN! But when my girlfriend Randi wakes up at 6 am and sees Stony Brook playing on the TV? I might as well just change the channel right now. Luckily, she's not home all day (except today, lucky me). My pick for the National Champion? Michigan State, making Tom Izzo proud to stay one more year in college basketball.

I am thankful for the UCONN women's basketball team. 80 in a row, 9 away for the College Basketball d1 record of 88 by UCLA. But it won't be easy. They have 2 Seniors (although having national 2 time player of the year Maya Moore helps) and 5 freshmen (including 2 time New York High Schooler of the year and North Babylon's own Bria Hartley) who will try to live up to the legacy of the past 3 seasons. A matchup against perennial solid team Florida State could be that 89th game in late December. Hope they do it, cause think, what competition happened back in 1970's college men's basketball? The same that happened in 2010's women's college basketball. Yeah, think about that over thanksgiving dinner.

See you next week....when you digest the leftovers.

No comments: