Tuesday, November 17, 2009

ARTISTRY IN INDY

Jay from "On The Sportslines" here. Before I get into this post, I have to give one last congratulatory missive to my BFF (aka "The Other Half of My Brain") and host of our show, Nisa Cirulnick, on her engagement. Congrats Nisa Marie (you too AP)!

Those of you who regularly watch our little television program know that I have - on occasion - invoked William Shakespeare in my closings. Ever wonder what it was like to watch his genius unfold live at the Globe Theatre in London? Or what it must have been like to actually watch Michelangelo paint the Sistine Chapel; or hear Beethoven's 5th the first time it was ever played?

No? Well, I did as I watched Peyton Manning and Tom Brady Sunday night. There have been other QB's in NFL history who have had great overlapping careers, but few like these two. Set the Super Bowls, MVPs, Pro Bowls and even stats aside (yes, I know, that sounds crazy coming from me) and just simply watch these two play the position.

Both the Patriots and the Colts play what I call "Fast Break Football", a phrase I first coined back when Jim Kelly and the Bills were running roughshod over the NFL back in the '90s with their "K-Gun" offense.

"Fast Break Football" is now referred to as the "Spread Offense" and is run in various forms by practically all football teams, both college and NFL. But I dare anyone to tell me (sorry Mr. Brees) that any QB runs this wide-open, high-flying, 85-yard-TD drives-in-93 seconds offense better than Brady and Manning.

When they go head to head you just know that no matter what the score is at any point in the game, somehow it will come down to whichever one of them has the ball last. These two are an ESPN "Top Plays" segment unto themselves.

Defense is irrelevant in Patriots-Colts games. Defensive Coordinators might as well take the approach to stopping Manning and Brady that opposing NBA coaches took when playing Michael Jordan in his prime: "You can't stop him, you can only HOPE to contain him". Most of the time they couldn't. Just like most of the time no defensive scheme can contain Manning or Brady.

They've had solid running games behind them and no running games behind them. They've done it with no-name WR's and with BIG NAME WR's. It just doesn't matter, Manning and Brady just carve up defenses with the skill and yes, artistry of a master craftsman plying his trade at a level others can only aspire to.

Manning, gesticulating wildly before every play, moving his chess pieces around before the snap with definite method to what seems to be madness. Brady, calm and cool, calling the cadence while looking over the defense, zeroing in on the match-up that will result in a big play.

They both threw for over 300 yards and at least 3 TDs Sunday night - okay, so I couldn't keep the stats COMPLETELY out - and it did come down to who had the ball last (I won't get into Belichick's decision to go for it on 4th down - I'll leave that to the Rabbi). This time Peyton walked away the winner in the latest chapter of this ongoing, Canton-esque duel.

An AFC Championship Game match-up is possible (which sadly will mean that somewhere along the post-season way, my Defending Super Bowl Champion Steelers were knocked out), as the 9-0 Colts and 6-3 Patriots are far and away the class of their respective divisions. AGAIN.

I feel sorry for the NFC Champion. I highly doubt that they will be able to provide the winner of Manning- Brady, 2009 Part Deux (and the rest of us) with the same high drama and QB artistry in the Super Bowl.

Thus I'm hoping that the New Orleans Saints do manage to come marching into Miami on February 7, 2010. Drew Brees is the only other QB who has a chance to match Manning or Brady throw for throw, TD for TD. Patriots-Saints or Colts-Saints could be a very entertaining game, but for this former QB, nothing in the NFL right now tops Patriots-Colts, or more to the point, Brady-Manning.

Artistry, thy name is Quarterback. Quarterback, thy name is Manning or Brady. All others are mere mortals.

No comments: